Ten members of the Bentley District Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the Sandy Point RV Resort on the southwest end of Gull Lake on the morning of December 3 around 6:30 a.m. The fire was reported by a neighbor who was awakened by the light and noise.
When crews arrived they found a brand new park-model mobile home at lot #44 fully engulfed in flames. Lacombe had been called but were stood down when it was determined they were not needed.
One concern was a nearby 420-pound propane tank. It was found it to be venting properly so was cooled down and the rest of the propane dispersed.
The home was completely destroyed leaving only charred remains with damage estimated to be around $125,000.
No one was living in the home at the time and there were no injuries. It was interesting to note that the new owners were to take possession later that very day.
The home in the adjoining lot suffered only minor heat damage to windows, flashings, etc.
The cause of the fire is under investigation but doesn’t appear suspicious. It appears the fire may have started in the utility room that housed the hot water tank and furnace.
Crews had arrived with an engine, tender, rescue unit, and utility vehicle. They were on scene for about three hours.
The fire department would like to remind people to be extra careful with fireplaces, heaters, and Christmas decorations at this time of year.