Quebec to loan up to US$200 million to struggling Cirque du Soleil

Quebec to loan up to US$200 million to struggling Cirque du Soleil

The Quebec government is coming to the rescue of Cirque du Soleil, announcing a loan of up to US$200 million as part of an agreement that could eventually see the province take over the live entertainment giant now walking a financial tightrope.

Economy Minister Pierre Fitzgibbon said Tuesday the province will become a creditor of the company under an agreement in principle between the provincially owned Investissement Quebec agency and Cirque’s three main shareholders — Texas-based TPG Capital, Chinese firm Fosun and Quebec pension fund manager Caisse de depot et placement.

“Under the circumstances, this is a very nice transaction,” Fitzgibbon told reporters.

“The reason why we supported existing shareholders is that we wanted to anchor the takeover of Cirque in Quebec. One day, Cirque will once again be Quebec-owned.”

The province would also have the option of buying Cirque in the event that shareholders decide to sell their stakes, Fitzgibbon said.

He said financial support would not be used to pay bondholders and would come with multiple conditions, including that the company’s head office remain in the province and that senior executives reside there.

Cirque, which carries a debt estimated at more than US$900 million following an ambitious four-year expansion, has seen its operations paralyzed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which prompted it to cancel all 44 shows and lay off about 4,700 employees, roughly 95 per cent its workforce.

The company has studied potential solutions, including creditor protection, and ramped up efforts to attract an investor or purchaser, or to negotiate another injection of capital from the current owners.

“If in the process other shareholders (were to acquire) Cirque, that money could also be available,” Fitzgibbon said, referring to the US$200-million loan.

The three current owners, who recently provided emergency funding of US$50 million, have a plan to revive the company, he added.

Cirque spokeswoman Caroline Couillard said it welcomed financial support from the province.

“The strong interest…once again testifies to the strength of our brand and the importance of preserving Cirque’s Quebec heritage,” she said in an email.

The minister’s announcement followed one by Cirque founder Guy Laliberte Sunday, who said he wants to buy back the 36-year-old circus company that he sold for US$1.5-billion in 2015 after growing it from a troupe of stilt walkers and fire-breathers into a global entertainment giant.

Laliberte, who sold his remaining 10 per cent stake in February for an estimated $100 million, said his intention was to keep the headquarters in Montreal and hire mainly Quebecers to run the company.

Quebecor Inc. has also voiced a desire to “rescue” Cirque, saying in a letter to federal ministers earlier this month it was in funding talks with the Caisse, the Fonds de Solidarite FTQ and the Royal Bank of Canada.

The Montreal-based media giant run by Pierre Karl Peladeau said in a separate release it is ready to spend “several hundred million dollars” to revive Cirque operations, despite not having access to their books.

The Quebec government had previously signalled it was ready to help the circus financially, with Fitzgibbon confirming last week the provincial government was in talks with potential investors.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 26, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX:RY)

Julien Arsenault, The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Front-line hospital workers have walked off the job at the Rimbey Hospital, and across the province. Photo Submitted
Front-line health care workers on strike across the province, including Rimbey Hospital

The strike is due to cut of 11,000 health care jobs in the province, according to AUPE

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, confirmed more than 1,000 cases over the weekend Monday afternoon. File photo
COVID-19: Central zone active cases up Monday

‘We’ve now crossed the tipping point,’ says Hinshaw

Alberta has 3,651 active cases of COVID-19. (File photo)
432 new COVID cases sets another record Friday

Central zone holds steady at 126 active cases

Ma & Paws Pet Supplies. Facebook/ Ma & Paws Pet Supplies.
Rimbey residents petition for dog park

Request for approval of dog park will be brought up at Tuesday Oct. 27 Town Council meeting.

The future site of the Rimbey Travel Centre. Web photo
New Rimbey development aims to capitalize on highway traffic

Phase I of the Rimbey Travel Centre would be along Hwy. 20, if approved

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join AUPE walk outs across the province Monday Oct. 26, 2020. Shaela Dansereau/ The Pipestone Flyer.
City of Wetaskiwin health-care workers strike in protest of province-wide cuts

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join other front line hospital workers across the province in walk-outs.

The death of 19-year-old Jacob Michael Chitze of Edmonton has now been ruled a homicide following an ongoing RCMP investigation.
UPDATE: RCMP arrest youth for second degree murder of 19-year-old Jacob Chitze

Arrest made for the murder of Jacob Michael Chitze, 19.

Pumpkins for the 46th Annual WDACS Pumpkin Ball on display at Vision Credit Union Wetaskiwin. Shaela Dansereau/ Pipestone Flyer.
46th Annual Pumpkin Ball held virtually this year

This year the pumpkins were sold over a six-day online auction.

Comedic actor Seth Rogen, right, and business partner Evan Goldberg pose in this undated handout photo. When actor Seth Rogen was growing up and smoking cannabis in Vancouver, he recalls there was a constant cloud of shame around the substance that still lingers. Rogen is determined to change that. (Maarten de Boer ohoto)
Seth Rogen talks about fighting cannabis stigma, why pot should be as accepted as beer

‘I smoke weed all day and every day and have for 20 years’

Leader of the Opposition Erin O’Toole rises during Question Period in the House of Commons Thursday October 22, 2020 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
O’Toole tells Alberta UCP AGM Liberals were ‘late and confused’ on COVID response

He says Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has taken charge and not waited to make things happen

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney arrives for an announcement at a news conference in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Inquiry into oil and gas foes to deliver report next year: Kenney

A lawsuit filed by environmental law firm Ecojustice argues the inquiry is politically motivated

The Canadian border is pictured at the Peace Arch Canada/USA border crossing in Surrey, B.C. Friday, March 20, 2020. More than 4.6 million people have arrived in Canada since the border closed last March and fewer than one-quarter of them were ordered to quarantine while the rest were deemed “essential” and exempted from quarantining. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Majority of international travellers since March deemed ‘essential’, avoid quarantine

As of Oct. 20, 3.5 million travellers had been deemed essential, and another 1.1 million were considered non-essential

This photo provided by Air Force Reserve shows a sky view of Hurricane Epsilon taken by Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter team over the Atlantic Ocean taken Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020.   Epsilon’s maximum sustained winds have dropped slightly as it prepares to sideswipe Bermuda on a path over the Atlantic Ocean.  The National Hurricane Center says it should come close enough Thursday, Oct. 22, evening to merit a tropical storm warning for the island.  (Air Force Reserve via AP)
Hurricane Epsilon expected to remain offshore but will push waves at Atlantic Canada

Epsilon is not expected to have any real impact on land

Most Read