RCMP focus on young drivers’ safety

The RCMP and Alberta’s integrated traffic units are emphasizing the safety of young drivers this month.

By Adam Eisenbarth

The RCMP and Alberta’s integrated traffic units are emphasizing the safety of young drivers this month.

According to Road Safety Vision 2010, young drivers make up approximately five per cent of the licensed driver/rider population but account for about 10 per cent of drivers killed and 13 per cent seriously injured.

While young drivers are involved in a higher number of collisions, Rimbey RCMP Sgt. Mark Groves says not every young driver is dangerous.

“I don’t want to lump everyone into that category. Many of the young drivers are very responsible and have learned quite well from their parents or driver instructors, however stats may show that younger drivers may receive more tickets than older drivers.”

Safe driving starts with the parents who can influence their children to take driver safety seriously.

“Communicate with the young drivers and ensure that they understand the rules of the road and of course encourage them to follow those rules and regulations.”

Another concern that applies to all drivers may be with seat belt use, though Groves says this area is on par with the rest of the country.

“In Canada about 90 per cent of vehicle occupants do wear their seat belts and the remaining 10 per cent who do not wear their seat belts account for 40 per cent of all traffic fatalities.”

It’s an important aspect of safety on the road.

“The single most effective way to save a life or to protect from injury is to ensure that all vehicle occupants wear seat belts.”

On May 5 an example of that was made when an 18-year-old driver and 15-year-old passenger were involved in a rollover collision. Both were wearing their seatbelts.

“With a collision such as that it could have had a much more devastating outcome. They both walked away with minor injuries and they weren’t even admitted into the hospital.”

Groves is prepared for the summer and says it’s a time when some people may take their road safety for granted.

“I think more (of) what we may see is the stunting and other issues like that, and maybe drinking, where they’ve had a few drinks and shouldn’t have drove but they did.”

When it comes to drinking and driving, it’s easy to label young drivers as the irresponsible ones, Groves says that is not necessarily the case.

“Generally speaking the younger drivers are quite good at arranging designated drivers and having a plan in place.”

Young or not, exercising all aspects of driver safety should make for an enjoyable summer and help minimize serious collisions.

Just Posted

Ponoka County residents divided on farmland uses

There were about 150 people at the county’s meeting related to reducing confined feeding operations.

Breton RCMP seek motorist who may have witnessed crime

Breton RCMP requesting public assistance in identifying suspects of break and enter

Rimbey set to change advertising methods with new bylaw

Deadline for written submissions set for Aug. 17

Ponoka County slows changes to CFO plans

Residents speak their concerns over the potential of changing areas allowing CFOs

Rimbey’s truck museum opening of expansion held

Prominent in the display is local author Janette Oke (nee Steeves)

UPDATED: Gord Bamford Foundation Charity Gala brings the stars to Central Alberta

The Gala raises money for various children’s charities throughout Canada

Kids, seniors at risk as smoke from distant fires hangs over parts of B.C.

B.C. Centre for Disease Control says children’s lungs don’t fully develop until about age 10

New plan to lift more than two million people past the poverty line

Anti-poverty strategy will aim for 50 per cent cut in low-income rates: source

Liberals scrap lottery system for reuniting immigrants with their parents

Lottery for parent sponsorship to be replaced, more applications to be accepted

Lacombe, Red Deer and Ponoka counties launch agricultural plastics recycling program

The three counties signed an agreement with Merlin Plastics

Trudeau says he won’t apologize to heckler, pledges to call out ‘hate speech’

Prime Minister had accused woman of racism as she shouted about illegal immigration at Quebec rally

Smoke from B.C. wildfires prompts air quality advisories across Western Canada

A massive cloud of smoke hangs over B.C. and Alberta due to wildfires

Pope on sex abuse: “We showed no care for the little ones”

In response to the Pennsylvania report, Francis labeled the misconduct “crimes”

Multiple quakes kill at least 12 on Indonesian islands

A shallow magnitude 6.9 quake that hit about 10 p.m causing landslides

Most Read