By Stacey O’Brien
Red Deer Advocate
A fire that started in a chimney in a Bentley area home Dec. 18 brought fire departments from Bentley, Rimbey and Sylvan Lake.
The fire started shortly before 6 p.m. at a large log home about two kilometres north of Bentley. At least three pumper and three tanker trucks were on scene fighting the blaze.
Homeowner Jan Drost said his wife called him and told him there were sparks coming from the chimney and he told her not to worry, but then she phoned back a couple minutes later and told him to come home. By that point they could see some flames and immediately called firefighters.
“There was good response from the fire department,” Drost said. “The crew were really good.”
Fire crews were at the blaze until after 9 p.m.
Drost believes the flames were likely smouldering for quite a bit before they began to shoot out of the chimney.
Drost and his family moved into the custom built log home in 1999. He lives there with his wife and two of his five children.
“At least there were no lives lost and nobody got hurt,” he said.
“Most of the house is still there. It’s not as bad as we thought it was, but the living room is damaged pretty heavily,” Drost said. “I think we caught it in time.”
Drost said they don’t know exactly what caused the fire, but it had to do with the chimney. “We clean it every year. It was clean. I can’t say much about it though, I’m not a specialist,” Drost said. He said the chimney was built to code.
The family is still able to live in the home.