UPDATED: Two officers killed in New Brunswick shooting are identified

Four dead after shooting in Fredericton neighbourhood, with one suspect in custody.

Fredericton police have identified two police officers who were among four people killed in a shooting Friday in a residential area on the city’s north side.

Police Chief Leanne Fitch says the victims include Const. Robb Costello and Const. Sarah Burns and two civilians — a man and a woman — who remain unidentified.

Jackie McLean, Costello’s wife, says a police inspector told the family this morning that her common-law partner was among the dead.

McLean says the couple had been together for four years and Costello has two adult daughters from a previous relationship.

The shooting incident began at about 7 a.m. at an apartment complex on Brookside Drive.

Fredericton police have one person in custody who was being treated for serious injuries.

Earlier Friday morning, police were asking people in the area to stay inside with their doors locked, and not to post information on social media about the position or activities of police.

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant tweeted his condolences to the victims and their families.

“During this difficult time, our thoughts are also with the courageous women and men on the front lines working to keep us safe,” said Gallant.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also tweeted about the tragedy: “Awful news coming out of Fredericton. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this morning’s shooting. We’re following the situation closely.”

A timeline of events (AT):

  • 7:07 a.m. Local resident David MacCoubrey is awakened by the sound of three gunshots just outside his bedroom window, followed by 17 more gunshots over the next hour.
  • 7:45 a.m. Nearby resident Travis Hrubeniuk hears a steady stream of police sirens along Brookside Drive.
  • 7:47 a.m. Fredericton police send a tweet cautioning people to avoid the area around Brookside Drive due to an “ongoing incident.”
  • 7:53 a.m. Police advise people living in the area to stay in their homes with doors locked.
  • 8:17 a.m. Police tweet that there has been a shooting that caused “multiple fatalities.”
  • 8:31 a.m. Police confirm that four people have been killed in the incident.
  • 9:45 a.m. Police say they have one suspect in custody but continue to keep the area contained while the investigation continues.
  • 9:49 a.m. New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant issues condolences to the victims and their families and urges residents to follow police instructions.
  • 10:12 a.m. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sends a tweet saying his “heart goes out” to everyone affected by the shooting.
  • 10:28 a.m. City police confirm that two of their officers are among those killed.
  • 11:05 a.m. Police lift the lockdown on the area and say there is no further threat to the public.
  • 11:22 a.m. Police tweet that the suspect is being treated for serious injuries related to the shooting.

READ MORE: What people saw and heard during Fredericton shooting

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

William (Bill) Harris of Ponoka County reported missing

Rimbey RCMP seek public assistance in locating missing male

Rimbey Business Awards Banquet Oct. 18

Rimbey & District Chamber of Commerce present annual awards

Ponoka County fire crews handle second baler fire in 12 hours

Fire crews handled a baler fire just west of Gull Lake

WCPS uses cannabis legislation to fully review drug, alcohol and tobacco policies

Cannabis is not permitted in schools; WCPS focused on providing education and support

Puff, puff, pass: Cannabis is officially legal across Canada

Alberta readies itself for cannabis sales with 17 stores (for now) and a new provincial website

Canada Post strikes leaves small shops in the lurch as holidays approach: CFIB

Rotating strikes began in Victoria, Edmonton, Halifax and Windsor

New monitoring of vessel noise impact on endangered whales announced

Federal government to monitor underwater ship and mammal noise in B.C.’s Salish Sea

Three men charged in Alberta man’s murder will go straight to trial

The three men are charged with first degree murder in the death a 20-year-old from Alberta.

Liberals write off $6.3 billion in loans as part of money never to be collected

That includes student loans and a $2.6 billion write off that came through Export Development Canada

Trudeau, McKenna to announce compensation for federal carbon plan

Provinces that don’t have a carbon price of at least $20 per tonne of emissions will have Ottawa’s plan forced on them

Harry and Meghan travel in different style on Australia tour

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are on day seven of their 16-day tour of Australia and the South Pacific.

AP Exclusive: Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair, thesis for sale

The online auction features 22 items from Hawking, including his doctoral thesis on the origins of the universe, with the sale scheduled for 31 October and 8 November.

In Khashoggi case: Saudi calls, ‘body double’ after killing

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called the son of Jamal Khashoggi, the kingdom announced early Monday, to express condolences for the death of the journalist killed at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by officials that allegedly included a member of the royal’s entourage.

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur waives right to preliminary hearing

Bruce McArthur, a 67-year-old self-employed landscaper, has been ordered to stand trial on eight counts of first-degree murder.

Most Read