Freezing rain has caused numerous motor vehicle crashes on central Alberta roads this morning.
As of 7:55 a.m. on Nov. 25, the Northbound QEII is closed near Ponoka due to numerous motor vehicle crashes in the area.
Traffic will be diverted onto eastbound Highway 53, through Ponoka and onto Highway 2A until further notice.
There are extensive delays in the area due to freezing rain.
Drivers are being asked to delay travel if possible.
There are multiple MVC’s in the area of the QEII near Millet, in the northbound lane.
“Area roads are a complete sheet of ice,” said the Millet Fire Department (MFD) in a Facebook post earlier this morning. “Worst highway conditions on QEII Hwy that we have seen in years.”
The department recommended staying off the highways and was reporting at 8 a.m. that the QEII norhtbound from Township road 470 north was at a standstill.
“(The) highway is completely blocked further north, at the hill south of the Millet overpass,” said MFD.
511 Alberta advised drivers should expect extensive delays on the QEII.
There was a semi rollover in the median around 7 a.m. northbound on the QEII just north of Township Road 482, south of Leduc.
“Returning to station, our trucks are going 20kph on QEII,” said Millet Fire Department.
Environment Canada warns an area of freezing rain will impact areas east of Red Deer this morning and has issued freezing rain warnings for:
- Camrose County near Bashaw and Meeting Creek
- City of Red Deer
- County of Paintearth near Halkirk and Big Knife Prov. Park
- County of Stettler near Big Valley
- County of Stettler near Botha and Gadsby
- County of Stettler near Byemoor and Endiang
- County of Stettler near Donalda
- Countyof Stettler near Stettler Nevis and Rochon Sands
- Flagstaff County near Forestburg and Galahad
- Lacombe County near Clive Alix and Mirror
- Lacombe County near Eckville
- Lacombe County near Lacombe Blackfalds and Bentley
- Ponoka County near Ponoka and Maskwacis
- Red Deer County near Elnora Lousana and Delburne
- Red Deer County near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
- Red Deer County near Pine Lake
- Red Deer County near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park
- Red Deer County near Sylvan Lake and Stephansson House