Rimbey RCMP are reminding residents that it is an offense to tamper with or steal election signs and election property.
On Sept. 22, RCMP received a complaint that the previous afternoon three youths were witnessed tampering with election signs. The location of the signs is not known at time of publication.
Tampering with or stealing election signs is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Canada Elections Act. Rimbey RCMP say that anyone caught doing so could face charges, including mischief to property or theft under $5,000, which carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison.
Over the last two weeks Rimbey RCMP have responded to two stolen vehicle calls.
On Sept. 18 between 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. a a 2010 burgundy Ford F150 was stolen while the owner was working in a field nearby. Neither the truck of any of it’s contents have been recovered.
Another vehicle was stolen Sept. 21 from 51 Street in Rimbey. The 1998 black Dodge Dakota had been for sale and parked at the end of the driveway when it was stolen. It has not been recovered either.
RCMP say that there are a few things you can do to prevent your vehicle from getting stolen.
• Always lock your vehicle doors.
• Never leave your vehicle running or with keys inside.
• Remove valuables from your vehicle (including wallets, purses, shopping bags, change, electronics, and sunglasses).
• Remove garage door openers from your vehicle.
• Park your vehicle in sight or in a well-lit area.
• Use a steering wheel lock.
• Lock your garage.
• Disable power to your garage door if you’re leaving for an extended period of time.
In the last two weeks Rimbey RCMP responded to 97 calls for service. These files include, but are not limited to, two thefts of trucks, one assault investigation, one assault with a weapon occurrence, three break and enters, thirteen other types of thefts reported, and eleven suspicious activity complaints.
If you have information on any of these crimes, contact your local RCMP Detachment at 403-843-2224 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.